Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Homemade Dark Chocolate Granola Bars

These are a soft slightly sweet granola bar. My bff Sarah's mom Carolyn made these one weekend that I joined their family at their cabin in Missouri. These were just a small piece of the wonderful I experience getting to know her family better that weekend. I'm so thankful for that opportunity and hope to get to see them again soon. Please try this recipe soon. They are yummy and not too sweet.

Dark chocolate Granola Bars

¼ cup sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup honey
2 tbsp. reduced-fat peanut butter
1 egg white
1 tbsp. fat-free evaporated milk (I've used skim milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground allspice
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 ½ cups crisp rice cereal
1/3 dark chocolate chips
¼ dried cranberries
¼ cup chopped walnuts

Combine first 7 ingredients. Combine next 4 ingredients; add to sugar mixture. Add remaining ingredients. Press into 13-in X 9-in baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes.

Score surface with shallow cuts to make bars. Cool on wire rack.

Per serving: 110 calories, 3 g fat, 1 g. saturated fat, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate

1 comment:

  1. These, too. I'm making these. I must. I will. I shall! They sound so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete