Monday, July 27, 2009

Lemon Sugar Cookies

I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I decided to try these this weekend since I had several lemons. They are soo yummy...please, do try.

1/2 cup butter flavored shortening (I used regular Crisco and 1/2 tsp butter flavoring)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 T milk
2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon rind
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Icing:
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine butter (softened), Crisco, and sugar. Add egg, milk, lemon rind (grated) and extracts and mix well. Sift the dry ingredients and gradually add to wet until dough forms and completely combined. Roll 1 inch round balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Butter the bottom of a glass and dip in sugar, and then smash each cookie to about 1/4 inch thickness. Bake at 400 degrees for 9 minutes. The edges should be slightly browned, but do not overcook. Remove to a wire rack to cool immediately.

Combine icing ingredients and drizzle lightly over each cookie. This gives the cookies a little extra lemon bite. The orginal recipe didn't have the icing, but I think it made them even more yummy! I think I'll go have another one right now.

2 comments:

  1. That looks 100% summertime! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already eaten 1/2 of them if that gives you any indication..the glaze just makes them hard to leave in the cookie jar! Then again my cookie jar says, " A well balanced diet is a cookie in each hand" LOVE IT...and pretty much any cookies it stores.

    ReplyDelete