Thursday, July 9, 2009

Carne Guisada and Spanish rice

If you make these two dishes together your family will thank you and your kitchen will smell like a Mexican food restaurant. Don't be intimidated, both are easy!

Carne Guisada

2 lb roast, cubed and trimmed of fat
1/2 cup oil.

Brown meat in oil. When meat gives off juices, drain all but 1 Tbs oil. The meat will not be done, so don't worry.

Add and brown: 1 1/2 Tbs flour

Add and simmer at low temp for at least 30 minutes:

2 cups water
1 T bell pepper (optional)
1/4 onion, chopped
1/4 tsp garlic salt (I probably used a little more)
1/2 tsp comino powder - this is the key flavor to the dish
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

The longer you simmer the the better the flavor and the meat will be more tender. I'd suggest an hour. I also added 1/2 extra water after about 30 minutes and additional seasoning with the water. I just happened to have a jar of Fiesta Carne Guisada seasoning and I added a few tsp to the extra water as well. This is not necessary at all but I was just throwing things in for extra flavor. It has cornstarch and more of the flavors above...I think it helped thicken the sauce a little, but I'm not so sure I would've even noticed if this was completely omitted.

Serve on fresh flour tortillas and you will NOT be disappointed. It was so good..and just as good left over today. I actually looked forward to leftovers.


I also made homemade Spanish rice which turned out great too. I made up the recipe so hopefully I'll get the measurements right since I was throwing things in.

3 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups Basmati rice
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
2 Tbs tomato paste
1/2 tsp comino
1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cumin
season salt
pepper

Bring chicken broth and tomatoes to boil. Add rice and seasoning. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 20 minutes. Top with a dollop of sour cream, serve with the carne guisada above and you'll be glad you did.

If you don't have Basmati rice, just use the correct portions of rice and chicken broth (instead of water) as directed on the package.

No comments:

Post a Comment